Saturday 10 October 2015

Week 14-15



I write now on day 1 of the rest of my life with this job behind me. The 13 day stretch was conquered and then ensued a 4 day break...a sort of teaser of what life could be like post-show. Then it was back on the road for a cheeky couple of gigs up north...quite small affairs.


And so to Germany for the final stretch. We met Sunday for a group treat - go-karting! Reader I'm pleased to report that I'm a hot-shot and came second. Then we were treated to some pub-grub and drove to the coast for a hotel stay, ready to leave early next morn.



We took the ferry to Dunkirk and then drove up through France, Belgium, Holland and then into Germany. Check into the hotel and then it was over to our welcome party organised by the hosts of the Leaf festival,...led by the inimitable Bronwyn. Beers and nibbles and small talk with enthusiastic old Germans ensued. And dancing...




The next day it was off to a couple of school workshops for some mildly interested German students. Then I had a glorious day off. Then Wednesday was the day of the Poetry Evening...an amateur affair in which we each performed a couple of poems for a rather small audience interspersed with some German poems and scenes by locals. We had to rehearse for hours and the show itself was...well...let's say it was indescribable and just leave it at that.






The next three nights were shows for the assembled paying guests. I remember feeling quite worried that the audiences would be small and rather unresponsive...unable to understand the play, let alone find it funny.


Well I'm very pleased to report that it was nothing of the sought. We played to exceptionally warm audiences who got all the jokes and were louder in response than many English audiences. It was so pleasing to be going out on a high so to speak!


#hangingout



After the last show on Sunday, a matinee, we took the set down for the last time. Oh how we revelled in pointing out each activity completed for the last time...especially as we've done these things over a hundred times!


Then we were treated to a 'medieval banquet' an evening of old German music played with lutes and the like, and a five-course feast of old-school dishes...reassuringly meaty. Lots of red wine and then back to the hotel for a session of nostalgic remincences.





And then the end was upon us. Monday morning and the vehicles were fully loaded. A quick trip to our eccentric host to see her toy frog collection (I'll say no more) and then the boys took off back to England, whilst I write to you on the coach to Holland for my week off.





So what else is there left to say?


I don't think the reality will set in for a while. No more putting on a big dress and getting to make hundreds of people laugh. No more hours of driving. No more national heritage locations. No more set construction.


Most importantly no more fellow actors that I have been living with day-in, day-out for 5 months. Were we ready to part? Yes. But I'm sure I'll miss each of them and their quirks in due course. I'm sure we'll meet again before long and reminisce, and celebrate what we've achieved.


I'm so proud to have been part of an ensemble that was so tight on and off stage.


Would I do it again? No. But I'm bloody glad I did it and I feel very fortunate to have done it with such upstanding and talented individuals. May they all go on with health and success and may The Lord Chamberlain's Men continue to flourish under Peter the Owl's reign.

And so...see you anon!
Holding acquaintance with the waves


No comments:

Post a Comment